Tips for any grant applications
- If you can, book a funding advice appointment before you start completing the application form.
- Keep it simple – be concise and direct, avoid jargon.
- Acronyms – assume that we won’t know what they mean.
- Facts and figures can be powerful.
- Focus your application on work or activities with people who are affected by disadvantage.
- Tell us about the difference our support will make to people.
- Always provide a detailed breakdown of costs and make sure your figures add up.
- Tell us about other fundraising – we are particularly interested to know about approaches to other charitable trusts as well as local community fundraising. You should include projected fee income.
- Remember to include the necessary enclosures: job descriptions, signed accounts, bank statement and progress report (for current grant holders).
- Please only email or send additional documents that you feel are absolutely necessary. Please use your judgement – it is unlikely that time will allow for reading of a 200 page business plan.
- It is often useful for us to see a case study and this can be included in the ‘additional information’ section.
- If you have not already provided one, be sure to enclose a progress report in relation to any previous award from the Foundation.
- Keep a copy of your application (useful to refer back to when assessment takes place)
Online Application Tips:
Here are some tips for using any online grant application system:
- Do not press the back arrow on browser bar as it will take you out of your application.
- To be able to save a draft:
At the top of the application for select the box fro Save nter your email address and create a password to then save your application form.
- Some of the boxes have word limits and these will appear on the form to show you how many words you have remaining in that box
- Before sending your final application, go back and check every box.
- Make sure you have actually sent the application by the closing date
- You can send your final application before the closing date if it is ready. This lets us start the assessment process.
- If you feel that there are other tips that would be useful for people to know, please email us and we can share them.